- Military drones have several varieties, including fixed-wing, rotary-wing, and hybrid
- The market is expected to grow to $20.64 billion in 2027
The global military drone market will showcase significant growth in 2023, with an increase of $15.88 billion at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.2%. Last year, it was $14.54 billion. The market is expected to grow to $20.64 billion in 2027 at a CAGR of 6.8%, says a report by ResearchAndMarkets.com.
Government plays a major role in this growth, as a report by National Defense Industrial Association says that in fiscal year 2021, the US Defense Department allotted $7.5 billion for a range of robotic platforms and associated technologies. For buying the unmanned systems, the Navy and Air Force each received about $1.1 billion; the Army received $885 million; the Marine Corps $70 million; and SOCOM $90 million. Hence, the primary demand of military drones has made this growth possible.
The countries covered in the global military drones market are Australia, Brazil, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Japan, Russia, South Korea, UK, USA.
Region-wise, Asia Pacific comes first in the military drone market, whereas Western Europe emerged as the fastest-growing region.
Types of Drones
The military drone market covers broad areas, including operations, surveillance, mapping, communication, and equipment delivery in the military sector. Military drones have several varieties, including fixed-wing, rotary-wing, and hybrid. There is a vast number of drone types also, like- MALE (Medium-Altitude Long-Endurance), HALE (High-Altitude Long-Endurance), TUAV (Tactical Unmanned Aerial Vehicle), UCAV (Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicle), and SUAV (Small Unmanned Aerial Vehicle.
Most Powerful Drones
- The most famous is Drone swarm technology has earned popularity in the military drone market due to its cost efficiency and high firepower. It is a large group of small drones that perform actions according to their coordination. The task of these drones is to survey enemy territories, search, rescue, and attack hostile objects. This drone is quite helpful for big attacks.
- Microsystems has made WOLF-PAK a drone-swarming system. This unique drone has a special capability to fly and split according to the need.
- In February 2022, Halcon unveiled the Hunter 2-S, a tube-launched swarming drone system. The Hunter 2-S is an unmanned aerial vehicle from the Hunter 2 series. These drones can communicate, track targets, hold positions, and engage with the proper targets. It has a unique feature which allow them to assign target.
The growth of military drones showcases the value of unmanned aerial vehicles in defence and security operations globally. In the coming days, military drones will play a major role in strengthening national security, and missions and optimising communication and equipment delivery capabilities for military forces worldwide.