The trucks are currently in the process of homologation to certify their suitability for road use.
Propel Industries, a leading name in the crushing and screening equipment market, recently debuted two models of electric vehicle (EV) dump trucks at EXCON 2023, showcasing their innovation in the sector. The event was highlighted by the presence of Nitin Gadkari, India’s Minister for Road Transport and Highways. The two models introduced, the 470 MEV and 470 HEV, boast gross vehicle weights of 45 and 60 tons, respectively. These trucks, entirely designed and manufactured in India, establish Propel Industries as the pioneer in indigenous EV dump truck manufacturing in the nation.
Key Product Highlights:
- Battery Flexibility:
- The trucks offer a range of battery packs, varying from 171 to 450 kWh, providing versatility, cost-effectiveness, and suitability for specific applications.
- Custom-configured batteries are available, tailored to mine distance and gradient, ensuring an operational time of 6 to 12 hours on a single charge.
- They feature rapid charging capabilities, achieving 0-100% State of Charge (SOC) in just 1 hour.
- Fuel Cost Savings:
- Propel EV Trucks are economically efficient, reducing fuel expenses by one-third to one-fifth compared to traditional fossil fuel trucks.
- The potential for regenerative braking/charging in mines with adequate slopes could further reduce or eliminate the need for charging.
- Safety and Reliability:
- The trucks are equipped with lithium batteries featuring a chilled cooling system, ensuring optimal performance in extreme conditions.
- Enhanced safety features include an automatic fire extinguisher and Leakage Current detection for both AC and DC.
- They come with a robust 5-year or 4000-cycle battery warranty.
- Comfort and Safety Features:
- Advanced features include payload detection, driver fatigue warning, automatic headlamp dipper, and crash detection.
- For driver comfort, they offer HVAC-cooled cabins, air-suspended cabins, automatic transmissions, and onboard diagnostics.
- The chassis frame is fully reinforced to handle extreme road and payload conditions.
- Performance and Roadworthiness:
- The trucks are fitted with ABS and Hill Start assist for safer and more comfortable uphill driving.
- They feature heavy-duty hub reduction axles specially designed for EV applications, ensuring high torque and payload capacity.
Propel Industries is set to broaden its electric truck range to on-road applications by the second quarter of FY2024. Currently, these trucks are undergoing thorough homologation processes to validate their roadworthiness and compliance with safety standards.