Global EV Sales Touch 10 Mn Milestone in 2022

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
  • Tesla’s Model Y stood firm as the globally best-selling model in electric vehicles, followed by BYD’s Song in Q4 2022
  • Battery EVs accounted for almost 72% of all EV sales, while plug-in hybrid EVs accounted for the remaining 28% in the same quarter

Going by the latest Counterpoint report, global passenger electric vehicle (EV) sales in Q4 2022 witnessed a major year-on-year hike of 53%, bringing the 2022 total to over 10.2 million units. Counterpoint’s global passenger electric vehicle model sales tracker for Q4 2022 found out that during this quarter, battery EVs (BEV) accounted for almost 72% of all EV sales, while plug-in hybrid EVs (PHEVs) accounted for the remaining 28%. While China, Germany and the US emerged as the top three EV markets, it is interesting to note that the top 10 EV automotive groups, which hold over 39 passenger car brands, contributed to almost 72% of all EV sales in 4Q22.

Global top 10 EV groups sales share
(Credit: Counterpoint)

It is noteworthy that the top 10 EV models accounted for one-third of the total passenger EV sales in Q4 2022. While Tesla’s Model Y stood firm as the globally best-selling model, it was followed by BYD’s Song. Interestingly, seven out of the top 10 best-selling EV models in Q4 2022 were from BYD and Wuling, brands which are majorly China-operated. Resultantly, the report inferred that the country’s EV market is evolving positively.

“EV sales were at an all-time high during Q4 2022. The annual total for 2022 would have reached close to 11 million units had fresh COVID-19 infections not surfaced in China. COVID-19 infections in China during November and December affected automotive production and sales and disrupted the component supply chain. Despite these headwinds, Chinese brands managed to record strong growth. In fact, in 2022, many Chinese brands started to expand in markets like Europe, Southeast Asia and Latin America. Chinese brands are likely to dominate in Southeast Asia and Latin America as there are very few brands operating in these regions. But a fight for market presence is expected in Europe,” commented Research Analyst Abhik Mukherjee.

- Advertisement -

Senior Analyst at Counterpoint, Soumen Mandal commented, “EVs are becoming mainstream faster than expected. By the end of 2023, EV sales are expected to reach nearly 17 million units. This year, the US’ EV sales will see a boost as models become slightly more affordable due to the $7,500 tax credit. The end of the purchase subsidy in China might push EV manufacturers to increase their prices. BYD has already implemented one price hike in January. But these price hikes are unlikely to affect EV sales in one of the most matured EV markets. Lithium prices are also expected to come down during the second half of 2023, which will benefit EV sales.”

Counterpoint Technology Market Research is a global research firm specializing in products in the TMT (technology, media and telecom) industry. Counterpoint considered only BEVs and PHEVs, not the hybrid EVs and fuel cell vehicles (FCVs) in this study. Moreover, Sales refer to wholesale figures, i.e. deliveries from factories by the respective brands/companies.


 

- Advertisement -

Related Artcles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Exclusive

Six Steps To Building Better Business Assets

0
In the journey of asset-building, solving good problems trumps battling bad ones. Dive into six essential steps for building and leveraging effective assets—the game-changer...

India’s Solar Capacity Installation Down By 44.1%, Delayed Projects To Add To 2024 Installations

0
Large-scale solar installations saw a notable decline of 50.8% YoY to 5.8 GW from 11.7 GW in 2022, constituting 77.2% of the annual capacity...

Infineon Technologies Sells Manufacturing Sites To ASE

0
This strategic move aims to balance in-house and external manufacturing for profitable growth, leveraging mutual synergies between the companies to drive industry growth and...

Buzz

Bajaj Auto And Magna Increase Their Ownership In Yulu

0
Returning investors Bajaj Auto and Magna have invested $19.25 million in shared electric mobility company Yulu as part of a Series B round of...

BIWIN And Lenovo Collaborate To Launch SSDs In India

0
Lenovo SSDs deliver high-performance storage solutions catering to both consumer and business needs. BIWIN has partnered with Lenovo to introduce the latest Lenovo-branded SSDs in...

IIT Guwahati And Edurade Launch India’s Largest Remote Pilot Training Program

0
This first-of-its-kind training program is specifically designed for Junior Commissioned Officers (JCOs) and other officers, aiming to modernise the operations of the armed forces.  The...

Important Sectors

India’s Solar Capacity Installation Down By 44.1%, Delayed Projects To Add To 2024 Installations

0
Large-scale solar installations saw a notable decline of 50.8% YoY to 5.8 GW from 11.7 GW in 2022, constituting 77.2% of the annual capacity...

Bajaj Auto And Magna Increase Their Ownership In Yulu

0
Returning investors Bajaj Auto and Magna have invested $19.25 million in shared electric mobility company Yulu as part of a Series B round of...

IIT Guwahati And Edurade Launch India’s Largest Remote Pilot Training Program

0
This first-of-its-kind training program is specifically designed for Junior Commissioned Officers (JCOs) and other officers, aiming to modernise the operations of the armed forces.  The...

Servotech Secures Order For 1500 DC Fast EV Chargers From HPCL And OEMs

0
Servotech Power Systems Ltd. secures a significant order for 1500 DC fast EV chargers from HPCL and other OEMs, valued at 102 crores, to...

CIL Announces 3GW Solar Projects, Aims For 5GW RE Addition

0
CIL is laying the groundwork for its 5 GW renewable energy goal. Coal India Limited (CIL) has announced its plans to set up 3 gigawatts...

Manufacturing

Applied Ventures Funds VVDN Technologies

0
The investment demonstrates Applied Ventures' dedication to promoting innovation, collaboration, and entrepreneurship within the semiconductor and electronics manufacturing sectors. Applied Ventures, LLC, the venture capital...

Haryana EV-CO To Manufacture L3, L5 EVs At New Plant

0
The EV maker is self-funded and operates a modern manufacturing facility with cutting-edge technology and equipment. It specializes in producing two and three-wheelers, with...
Sona Comstar

Sona Comstar: First Indian Auto Supplier With PLI Certification

0
Sona Comstar, a leading EV traction motor manufacturer in India, receives PLI certification for its electric two-wheeler traction motor. Sona BLW Precision Forgings, commonly known...

Indian Manufacturers To Get Chinese Mobile Production Orders

0
Dixon has secured an order from Oppo for making phones, with an order size of around 5-6 lakh units per month.  Chinese firms have finally...

VinFast To Begin Construction Of TN Factory On Feb 25

0
The collaboration between VinFast and the Tamil Nadu Government commenced with the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on January 6, 2024. This...