Tuesday, June 11, 2013:
Various kinds of home inverters like pure sine wave inverters, square wave inverters and quasi sine wave inverters are available in the market. Of these, the most efficient are the pure sine wave inverters, but they are costly, whereas square wave and quasi sine wave inverters are generally low in cost but less efficient than the former. Solar powered inverters are also becoming popular, but their cost is still high since they require solar panels that are expensive.
Almost all major players, except Uniline and Luminous, have launched home inverters in the last one year. In this section, we have featured some of the recently launched home inverters by Indian companies.
Model: Brainy, Brand: Su-Kam, Manufacturer: Su-Kam Power Systems Ltd, India
Launched in February 2013 for the Jammu and Kashmir market, Brainy is a hybrid home UPS system that harnesses solar energy to convert it into electricity, and uses its artificial intelligence to maximise utilisation of solar energy to power homes.
- It has an in-built solar charge controller which enables the conversion of solar power to electricity.
- It senses the availability of solar or grid power and gives charging preference to the solar power charge and only switches to the grid when the solar power is not available.
- Since the system involves a preferential charging of battery from solar power, it reduces electricity expenses.
Model: CPS HYBY, Brand: Convergence, Manufacturer: Convergence Power Systems Pvt Ltd, India
Launched in January 2013, CPS Hyby is an inverter synchronised with a built-in solar charge controller and power conditioning unit (PCU). It works as a normal home inverter, and can be converted into a solar inverter by simply adding the solar PV modules and connecting them to the system. In the absence of solar power, the inverter automatically switches back to the normal AC mains.
- Maximum power point tracking (MPPT) enabled built-in solar charge controller
- 0.80 power factor
- Changeover time of < 8 ms
- Efficiency > 92 per cent
- Total harmonic distortion (THD) < 5 per cent
- Input AC mains voltage range 180-280V AC
- Input solar voltage range: 12V DC
Model: SW 3548, Brand: Microtek, Manufacturer: Microtek International P Ltd, India
Launched in January 2013, the SW 3548 is a 3.5kVA IGBT-based sine wave inverter, especially designed for high surge current load. It is suitable for various applications like embroidery machines, water motors, tubelights, photocopiers, dental chairs, etc.
- Nominal battery voltage: 48V DC
- Output power factor: 0.8
- Full load output current: 11 A
- Standard input voltage range: 180V to 260V AC ±5V AC
- Changeover time <10 ms
- No load battery current: 1.1 A ±0.2 A
Model: PNS, Brand: Powernet, Manufacturer: Powernet Solutions Pvt Ltd, India
Launched in January 2013, the PNS inverter utilises both mains power and solar power to charge connected batteries. The PNS solar inverter is ideal for various applications at offices, petrol pumps, malls, multiplexes and shops, and also suitable for home lighting and running computers.
- Available in the 850 VA to
- 7.5 kVA range
- Has a high-end DSP-based controller
- Short-circuit protection with auto reset
- Battery voltage: 12 V to 72 V for 850 VA and 7.5 kVA respectively
Model: Home UPS 875 VA and 1500 VA, Brand: Proton, Manufacturer: Genus Power Infrastructures Ltd, India
Launched in December 2012, the Proton home inverter is equipped with ASIC (auto sense intelligent control) technology. It runs on a powerful DSP chip that improves the battery life, and operates noiselessly in addition to giving a grid quality output that is safe for appliances.
- Heavy duty copper transformer ensures efficient performance.
- Better surge protection to handle grid fluctuations.
- Has a miniature circuit breaker instead of a fuse.
- Short-circuit and reverse phase protection.
- User-selectable charging option.
Model: Volta Home Inverter 800 VA to 5 kVA Brand: Volta, Manufacturer: Volta Powerlink Pvt Ltd, India
Launched in November 2012, this inverter provides pure sine wave output, which saves the output from getting distorted especially on normal loads like compact fluorescent lamps, tubelights, motors, coolers, computers, etc.
- Battery voltage: 12 V for 800 VA, 24 V for 1.5 kVA, 120 V for 5 kVA
- Input frequency: 50 Hz ±6 per cent
- Output frequency: 230 V ±2 per cent
- Inverter efficiency: 90 per cent
Model: Smart Solar, Brand: Ronds Innotech, Manufacturer: Ronds Innotech, India
Launched in August 2012, Smart Solar is the world’s first home-inverter with remote assistance and e-services, provided via the use of a SIM card, company sources claim. It is equipped with an in-built embedded performance tracking system and can communicate with a remote PC over GSM channel, without using Internet or GPRS. It works both on solar and normal mode.
- The innovative e-services tool simplifies monitoring because the use of a SIM card helps to communicate with the inverter and computer and thus enable quicker identification of issues in the hardware and software.
- The inverter’s automated power source selection mechanism (APSS) automates the power selection between AC mains and solar power.
- The GSM-enabled remote assistance mechanism helps to manage the settings, and to track and monitor the operations, performance, complaints/issues and maintenance of any electronics device from a remote computer or mobile device.
Contact details: Ph: 080-32442986, [email protected], www.rondsinnotech.com
Electronics Bazaar, South Asia’s No.1 Electronics B2B magazine