Lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries are low in maintenance. In addition, their level of self-discharge is less than half compared to nickel-cadmium batteries, making these batteries well suited for modern fuel gauge applications. Li-ion cells also cause little harm during disposal. They have emerged as a key energy storage system for those using mobile phones, e-bikes or even a power tool. Despite their overall advantages, Li-ion batteries have some drawbacks – they are fragile and require a protection circuit to ensure safe operation
By Belal Khan
High energy density: The energy density of Li-ion batteries varies based on the chemistry. The specific energy density can range from 100wh/kg to 125wh/kg, and volumetric energy density from 240wh/L to 300wh/L (double that of Ni/Cd batteries, and 1.5 times that of Ni/MH variants). This is still short of the theoretically maximum specific energy density possible, which is 150wh/kg, or 400wh/L in the case of volumetric energy density.
High voltage: The operating voltage of one Li-ion battery is 3.7V (average value), equivalent to three nickel-cadmium batteries or nickel hydrogen batteries connected in series.
Long cycle life: The cycle life of Li-ion batteries is over 500 in normal conditions.
Environment-friendly: Li-ion batteries contain no polluting metals, such as cadmium, lead, mercury, etc, and even if they do, the quantity of the polluting metals is within the permitted international standards.
- Electronic energy meters
- Emergency lights
- Handheld terminals
- Security systems
- Home appliances
- Medical equipment
- UPS systems
Products available in the market
Montu Electronics LLP
Montu Electronics offers Li-ion battery packs of higher voltage like 48V, 25.9V, 24V, 14.8V, 12V and 11.1V (from 10Ah to 100Ah).
Model: Green Power 48.1V 13Ah (13S5P) Li-ion battery pack
- Reliable and high capacity branded cells are used in the battery packs for good performance.
- Safer: Green Power Li-ion/Li-poly/LiFeP04 battery packs always have inbuilt BMS with upper/lower voltage cut-off and short circuit protection.
- Fuel gauge (battery charge/discharge indications) can be added as per OEM requirements.
- Shape and technical parameters can be customised as per the OEM requirements.
- Green Power battery packs are 100 per cent quality tested.
USP: Proper PCM is used in all the Li-ion as well as LIFePO4 battery packs.
Sealed Energy Systems (SES)
SES is a trusted name among Li-ion and Li-poly battery manufacturers, exporters and suppliers. The company is based in Haryana. It manufactures and supplies high quality rechargeable Li-ion batteries that are reputed for their quality and affordable prices.
- Chemistry: Lithium-ion rechargeable
- Nominal voltage: 11.1 volts
- Rated capacity: 46.8Ah
- Length: 220mm
- Width: 90mm
- Height: 120mm
- Typical weight: 3.3 kg (approx.)
- Maximum discharge: 15A
- Maximum charging current: 15A
- Charging: Solar panel
- Self–discharge: <2 per cent per month
- Cycle life: >2000 cycles @ 60 per cent DOD
- Solar charge controller: Built-in MPPT solar charge controller with smart Li-ion battery charging facility, MCU programmed device
- BMS function: Smart circuit, voltage and current protection, surge and short circuit safety, SMBUS communication, fuel gauge
- Dusk to dawn: Programmed for smart use of dusk-to-dawn function
- Load connectors: Connects luminaires/fans/DC, load with circular connector
USP: Solar charging with a direct connection with the PV module.
Fusion Power Systems
Fusion Power Systems offers Li-ion battery packs in various voltages and capacities under the Amptek brand. Recently, it has launched for the first time in India a broad range of Li-ion batteries for electric vehicles, particularly two wheelers. The models being offered are 48V 14Ah, 48V 19Ah, 48V 22Ah and 48V 24Ah.
Model: AT-L- 4814 48V 14Ah Lithium-ion battery module
- Integrated home UPS system and battery in a single console
- Advanced DSP based pure sine wave generation
- Fully functional, customised, multi-coloured LCD graphic user interface
- Environment-friendly tubular SMF VRLA gel battery
- Intelligent battery management module to dynamically assess charge level of the battery
- DSP controlled enhanced charging algorithm to suit tubular gel batteries
- Battery capacity selector switch
- Integrated cooling control system
- Detachable LED lamp for emergency outdoor use
- Dual output socket for additional load
- Bypass switch
- Huge power savings
- Easy serviceability
USP: The Amptek Li-ion pack has excellent cycle performance and high safety.
Energy storage is one of the key focus areas of ACME, and the company is developing various customised solutions to meet application-specific requirements.
Model: ACME’s Next Gen ESS
- Operating temp range: -10°C to 65°C
- Space requirement: 4.32sqm
- Weight: 3.4 tonnes (1/7th the weight of an equivalent VRLA battery)
- Calendar life: 12+ years (five times more life)
- Charging time: 1 – 3.5 hours (four times faster charging)
- Efficiency: 95 per cent (15 per cent more efficient)
- Environment-friendliness: No hazardous materials used
- Carbon footprint: Very low/negligible
USP: ACME’s Next Gen ESS is an advanced, long-lasting maintenance-free solution.
EON Electric, a leading manufacturer of a range of Li-ion batteries, has launched Li-ion battery based UPS systems for ATMs, banking and other applications in different capacities ranging from 1kVA to 7kVA. UPS systems up to 1kVA have an internal battery.
Model: 48V 40Ah Li-ion battery
- A unique battery protection and management module, where one can set cut-off voltages of one’s choice
- Users can optimise parameters to maximise the life cycle and the capacity of the battery, while ensuring safety
- Design capability to offer customised solutions to meet diverse customer requirements
- Fast charging
- Long life cycle
- Zero maintenance
- Extremely safe
- Reliable and predictable
- Occupies less space
- Greater shelf life
USP: Fast charging capability, without compromising on the life of the battery.
Coslight is a manufacturer and global supplier of high quality, high energy density Li-ion batteries for a diverse range of applications. The company offers an extensive range of Li-ion based solutions tailored to meet its customers’ requirements.
Model: Portable Energy Storage System
- Pure sine wave output, high power factor, strong driving ability and long cycle-life
- A large battery capacity, high power output, available for laptops, cell phones, tablet PCs and a wide range of applications
- Comes with overload protection, over temperature protection, output short circuit protection, input under-voltage protection, input over-voltage protection, and other functions
- Intelligent controls, stable performance, highly secure and reliable
- Compact size and light in weight
- Rugged outer body can sustain rough handling
USP: High energy density Li-ion battery in a single and rugged console.
Contact: [email protected]
Su-Kam Power Systems Ltd is one of India’s leading power backup solutions providers. It has launched the ‘Sunway Platform’—what the company claims is one of the most advanced solar streetlights in the Indian market. Powered by an inbuilt Li-ion battery, it provides efficient charging even on cloudy days.
Model: Sunway platform
- It can be wall-mounted and is much more reliable than lead acid batteries for outdoor applications.
- An inbuilt charge controller and battery management system reduces the idle current to <10 microamps and efficiently charges the battery even on cloudy days. This unique self-autonomy feature avoids the need to have oversized batteries and solar panels.
- The inbuilt driver provides automatic dimming to meet lighting demands.
- The inbuilt charge controller provides automatic dusk-to-dawn sensors and eliminates the need for any manual operation.
- Sunway has an inbuilt battery management system designed to provide cell balancing and to enhance battery life.
USP: Fast-charging when combined with a solar panel of a large size.