Choice group is ranked No. 2 in the country among manufacturers of quality solderable alloys. The company has diversified into the fields of LED lighting and solar power. Read on to know about the growth of this firm
By Belal Khan
Choice was floated in 1986 by professionals who had rich experience in banking as well as manufacturing. The group began its journey with an equity capital of US$ 29,000 and started out by manufacturing copying machines for Xerox, and then went on to make non-ferrous metal alloys. Over a period of time, the firm has diversified its business to cover electronics, EMS for LED lights, telecom and solar energy generation. Today, the promoters’ equity has risen to US$ 1.4 million. Currently, 400 dedicated people are engaged in the group’s activities.
Choice started out manufacturing photocopying machines for Xerox, and later started its operations in the metals and alloys space. Today, Choice’s solders are the second most used solderable alloys in the country. The company’s production capacity is 120 metric tonnes/month and it has a state-of-art testing facility in Noida.
Machinery at the facility
The high tech machinery at the company’s plants includes four SMT lines, a separate PCB assembly line that is RoHS compliant, high-tech testing instruments for electronics labs, etc.
Products and services
- CFL bulbs
- LED drivers
- Power supplies
- Solders (RoHS and non-RoHS compliant)
- Solder paste (RoHS compliant)
- Fluxes and solvents
- Erection and commissioning of telecom towers
- Telecom towers and DPR
- Solar power generation (at a 5MW plant in Rajasthan)
- In-house plastics moulding plant for LED bulb housings
Manufacturing and services at a glance
EMS: Over eight fully automated AI and SMT plants for EMS for OEMs like Crompton, Havells, Surya, Philips, Tata, Audi, Ashok Leyland, Halonix, Denso, TVS, etc
Lighting: Complete manufacturing of CFLs, LEDs and automotive lighting
Telecom: Installation and commissioning of telecommunication towers and services
Power: Installation and commissioning of over 100MW of power plants across India
“We want to create high-tech infrastructure and facilities that make the Choice brand globally recognised”
Vinod Goyal, managing director, Choice Group P Ltd
LED manufacturing capacity
The company has two plants for LED light assembly at Noida and Haridwar, which have state-of-art machinery. It has a production capacity of one million pieces per month, which will be increased to two million pieces per month over the next six months, with the addition of two more SMT lines of 60,000 CPH.
The company’s goal
- To create high-tech infrastructure and facilities that make the Choice brand globally recognised.
- To produce 5 million pieces per month, especially for OEMs like Philips, Osram, Bajaj, etc.
- To make an additional capital outlay of US$ 2 million from its own resources within the next three years.
- To work based on the policy of ‘First time right’ for all its products.
- BIS accredited for LED bulbs
- Group investments: US$ 2.8 million (₹ 193 million)
- Investments in LED lights: US$ 1.2 million (₹ 84 million)
- Proposed investment plans for LEDs: US$ 1 million (₹ 70 million)
A focus on quality
The Choice Group is 9001:2008 certified for producing solderable alloys and lighting products. The company is concerned about saving the environment and therefore produces and offers lead-free solutions to its clients. Also, all the energy consumed by Choice is offset by its solar power plants in Rajasthan. The company produces 5MW of pure green energy per year, making its carbon footprint negligible.
Every electronic product manufactured by Choice has an efficiency of more than 80 per cent and power factor of at least 0.90. Other facts about its manufacturing set-ups include:
- Dust-free and temperature controlled environment
- A strong, well-qualified and experienced R&D team
- ESD-safe environment
- Fully integrated under one roof
- Backward integration for plastics and soldering alloys/paste
- Trained manpower
|Major products:||LED bulbs, tubelights, streetlights, CFLs, LED drivers, power supplies, etc|
|Production capacity:||One million pieces per month, which will be increased to two million pieces per month in the next six months, by the addition of two more SMT lines of 60,000 CPH|
|Factory location(s):||Noida and Haridwar|
|Annual turnover:||US$ 13 million (2014-15)|
|Areas of expertise:||Electronics, EMS, LED lights, telecom and solar energy generation|
|Contact details:||B-30, Sector 63, Noida-201305, Uttar Pradesh, India|